Wednesday 22 April 2009

Reggefiber to my Home

Reggefiber has reached my home (almost) with their fiber. They are now two doors away from my home, so I expect not to be able to park my car on my own driveway this afternoon. This is part of what is locally known as Almeernet. KPN is currently offering services over it and Online (Deutsche Telekom) will soon too.

I made some pictures yesterday in my street and the neighbouring street. For those not familiar with Almere, The Netherlands. The town was build in what used to be a sea and later on a lake. Like most of The Netherlands the ground consists of clay and sand. Fiber is dug and installed with direct burial. The way Reggefiber goes about the installation is that first they dig the fiber in the street and run it through the front door. 3-4 weeks later someone comes to bring the fiber from the front door to the utilities closet, which most Dutch homes have.

The way they get fiber to the front door is the more interesting bit. It doesn't require digging. Because the soil is so loose, they can use a device (I call it a thumper), that drills itself under the driveway to the front door. This device is operated by compressed air. After this a duct is run from the street to the front door, through which fibre is run.

Enjoy the pictures. I hope I can make some of the installation in house too. In the Picasa webalbum there are some more that I took earlier.

From Fibre to my Home

From Fibre to my Home

From Fibre to my Home

From Fibre to my Home

From Fibre to my Home

From Fibre to my Home

From Fibre to my Home

From Fibre to my Home

From Fibre to my Home

From Fibre to my Home

From Fibre to my Home

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rudolf, just one quick question:
    do Reggefibber and UPC have dug their own holes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, Reggefiber is the one digging. UPC is the incumbent cable company and doesn't seem to be interested in FTTH for the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.